Thursday, April 8, 2010

project: 247

Well, I've decided to forget the 348/349 hybrid project…..not AHRMA legal. 'Nuff said! Instead, I'm in the process of getting this "almost like new" Cota 247. The owner is shipping it to me, and hopefully I'll receive it soon. It should make a great winter project!! I plan on stripping it, and building it back up. Spending too much money I'm sure of, in the process. If any body has any tips on working on the 247's, let me know. I'm going to finish the 348 that I own (making sure to have it ready for AHRMA 2000), and then I'll start on the 247.

My goal is to finish it well before the beginning of the new trials season. I think I should be able to do that!! I know the bike looks rough, but I'm also getting some extra parts. I'll try to cover the rebuild here, from start to finish. This should make an interesting motorcycle and it should also make a good "back-up" bike incase my 348 breaks down.

Let me know what you think of the project, and help me out if you have any parts for sale that would fit this bike. As soon as I receive the bike, I'll make my first posting on the start of the project.

part 2:
Well I just received my first box of 247 Cota parts. I opened the box, and found a very well used gas tank, a pair of handlebars, a set of original shocks, and two exhaust pipes. One of the pipes has the exhaust tip cut off of it, but the other one is complete. Both header pipes on each one was in very good shape. I went to the buffer with these, and was able to really buff these up. That's one thing I really like about the 247's…..those polished header pipes look GREAT!! If any one out there has a parts manual for this bike, and would like to make a copy for me, I would greatly appreciate it. I would even be willing to make some copies of whatever 348/349 stuff I have. The previous owner of this 247 is supposed to send out another box of parts on Fri. 12/10, so I should receive the next box on Tues. or Wed. The gas tank will have to be stripped down, and re-glassed in areas.

part 3:
I received my next set of parts the day before Christmas Eve. What an early Christmas present (to my self, of course)!!!! I opened both boxes and found a hoard of parts. After inventory, I had received the following parts: one complete 247 engine, a set of forks, triple clamps, front and rear axles, clutch lever and cable, a 27mm Amal carb, a rear wheel (large brake hub), a decent rear sprocket, and a very well used (more so than the last ) gas tank w/ seat base. I should get the other engine, frame, and front wheel this week.

Here is a little history on our project bike. This was taken from Jared Bates' Southwest Montesawebsite (Montesa of the Month). You should all go check out his page and his specials of the month. We are all going to need to get our bikes ready for the new season, …...so drop Jared a line to get those parts for your Cota!!! Also check out the History of Montesa and the Clymer Service Manual (1965-1974) at Jared's.

Early in 1967, two trials prototypes, based upon the Cappra 250 motocrosser were built. These were the Mk 1's and while not very successful, they did serve as a starting point for further Cota development. 65 Rayer Replica's (Mk 2's) were built in Oct-Nov of 67', changes included: 5 speed gearbox, softer clutch, alloy rims, 1.5 gal fuel tank, squish band cylinder head, and improved ignition coil. In December of 1967, Don Smith had been asked to test the new Cota in an effort to sort out the new model in time for the 1968 SSDT. Later in the year, Don Smith signed a contract and began preparations for the Scottish. Only four Montesa's were entered as compared to 82 Bultaco's and 5 Ossa's. Even with shifting problems, Smith finished sixth overall. Following this, the Mk 3's went on sale. Following a very short production run, the Mk 4's were released (late 1970) changes included, smaller wheel hubs, more ground clearance, and many other detail changes.
The above bike is owned by Phil Harvey, and was restored by Phil. The engine was built by S/W Montesa, which also supplied many of the parts Phil needed for his beautiful restoration.

Gordon Farley on a Mk3 at the 1969 Scott Trial. Farley's works bike was usually fitted with much smaller and lighter wheel hubs from the Montesa moped model. For the Scott trial, which was a speed oriented event, he reverted back to the larger and more powerful standard front brake hub, but retained the smaller rear unit.

part 4:
Some of you may already know that I have been working on the first 247 Motor. I have had great difficulty getting the flywheel off, and I have yet to complete the job. I have been successful in stripping the treads off of my flywheel puller, and stressing myself out. I am still awaiting the rest of my parts, and I will keep everyone posted on my progress. I've decided to turn my attention to my 348, so as to get it ready for competition. The AHRMA trials meet at Casey (20 miles east of my house) is in April, and I want to be fully prepared to have some FUN, by then.

part 5:
Well it's been a while since I last updated this,….so that means I've had plenty of time to be outside in the garage working on the 247. I stripped the extra engine down, and found a disintegrated lower end and a missing piston. The "good" engine had a stripped shift shaft, so I took the one out of the extra engine. This meant that I had to split the case on the good engine. As you may remember, I had yet to get the stubborn mag off of the "good" engine. The mag on the bad engine practically fell off, but I guess my hours of persistence paid off and the mag finally broke loose on the "good" engine.
I got everything stripped down, cleaned, the new shaft installed, and everything buttoned back. I was getting stoked about getting the thing running, but first I had to clean the carb. It had nasty deposits in the float bowl so I set to cleaning and scrapping on it and……….POP!!…..there sudenly appears a hole in the bottom of the bowl. I guess someone had patched it before, and I pushed their patching material out. Well not going to get it started today!!
The next day I patched the float bowl, and let it set up. Then I got the carb bolted on and tried to fire her up!! I've got a spark, but it just won't go. I found a new plug, just in case the plug was firing intermittently. Sure enough…….next try and …………….PUTT, PUTT, PUTT!!!!
I decided to strip the frame and get it ready to paint, now that I know that it runs. I have since gotten the frame painted white, and started reassembly. I've decided not to go crazy with a period restoration for now. I'm just going to get it presentable for now...and ride it a little. I'm going to get another 247 from Erwin Roman (pictured below), and hopefully I can make some of my missing parts by looking at his 247, and maybe I can get another early 247 pieced together.
BTW, this project sparked a message from Lonnie Ortiz. Lonnie also has a '70 247 and has been looking for a cylinder for his bike for some time. I sent him my extra cylinder, and he said he would send pictures after he gets it going. Lonnie sounds excited about getting his Cota going……..CAN YOU REALLY BLAME HIM????? I didn't think so!!!

I'll get pictures of the updated Project 247 soon, and in the mean time I will be fixing various small problems, such as a cracked header pipe, worn out shocks, and a nasty gas tank, not to mention sourcing some missing parts such as a kickstarter, shifter, and some fenders. Stay tuned………………….

part 6:
Well, I ordered some alloy fenders , a new set of Sammy Miller handlebars, and a new front fender mount, all from Speed and Sport. The fenders (made by Sammy Miller, I believe) were a great fit, with the exception of some minor trimming. I ended up cutting off about 3 inches in length, and cutting a little out of the rear fender for chain clearance. I would highly recommend these fenders to anyone who is looking for a replacement for those "classic" looking Montesa fenders. The front fender mount was just as good. It is a black welded steel unit that is very stout!! I got ready to enlarge the fender mount holes, and I thought I was going to destroy my drill bit in the process. It turned out fine, and I have since ordered one for my 348. Speed and Sport lists the fender mount as a 247 item, but I tried it out on my 348, and it fit. In my opinion, this mount would ad considerable strength and rigidity to the front end of the Montesa's. I ordered all new cables from Rocky Mountain Montesa, and John was more than kind, in our dealings. The early Cota parts seem a little pricey, but there it probably no way around this. I had my bike all ready minus a good gas tank. That's when Erwin Roman said he would go ahead and send me the '70 gas tank he had, along with some various parts, I still needed (shifter, correct kickstarter, cable adjusters, etc.). I received the tank, and basically just set it on the pick, filled it up with gas, and started the Cota up!! The bike runs great, and I like the way it feels. It's not as maneuverable or torquey as my 348, but hey..there was a lot of development in between those two bikes. I can't get used to the left side brake- IN THE WOODS, and I don't think I want to switch back and forth between the 247 and 348. I'm content with riding the 247 on easy trails, and around the yard. It's a great bike, that has GREAT looks!! I THINK I'll keep in in my growing collection of Montesa's ….OF COURSE I WILL!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment